Monday, April 16, 2007

The Orange Run

So, it was with GREAT difficulty that I had to turn down my friend to meet for drinks on Saturday night, because I had signed up for this darn run. The hardest part about this for me, is having to wake up so early on a Sunday morning. Fortunately, it was held at the Curve, and our beloved Fitness First is opened bright and early, allowing me to dump my stuff there. I would hate to have my car keys, etc all hanging off me when I run.

The first thing sunshine said when she saw me was that she wasn't expecting me to show up. Roll eyes, what little faith. Actually, it was a justified remark. Wai Hoong, the one who dragged me into this in the first place, was nowhere to be seen. Ben Sim, aka Mr Cool was also one of the runners. Bumped into a few acquaintances, including Unkaleong's friend, Jin Hun and his wife, whom I haven't seen in a while. My unit trust agent was there as well. Anyway, I was in the A category, ie, Male Veteran, 40 and above, which was one of the reasons I signed up in the first place. New category and all. Actually, most of the OTHER A category fellas looked darn fit. I guess if you are in that category, and dont normally run, you wouldnt sign up for a run at all, unless you're inviting a heart attack or something. So, actually, apart from me, the rest of the A category all looked super fit, if you ask me, whereas, the C category, male between 20-40, came in all shapes and sizes. The females started the race later, their veteran category being B.

The route started from the front of the curve, pass Ikano Power Centre, past Tesco, then a left to Mutiara Damansara, before re-emerging at the curve and crossing the big road leading to Kota Damansara, and subsequently to Bdr Utama via the Sony building. By the time I reached the sign that said, THIS IS THE HALFWAY MARK OF THE ORANGE RUN, some of the females, esp in the D and F category, and zipped past, as well as one or two from the B category. I half expected to see Sunshine overtake me ....my original fears of coming last were completely unjustified. As I said, they came in all shapes and sizes. There was a long haired man, who had dyed his hair blond, who wore tight red denims, a baseball cap, who started at the starting line, and ran way ahead, but I'm not sure if he actually finished.

At the "ONLY 1KM LEFT" sign, I was thinking, there is NOOO WAY in hell we were only 1km away from the curve. Turns out, there is a new road from Bdr Utama, crossing the park, that leads directly to the Curve, although it's not open to public and traffic yet.

I find out later on from Sunshine that the route was actually more than 9km. My time was about 1 hour 15 minutes. (thereabouts, we werent given our times, nor positions).

Oh well, I'm pretty pleased with myself!!! Thanks to exFCI and Sunshine for errr... "pushing" me on when I didnt want to register.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done FB! I knew you could run it fast( that is if you turned up! hehehe)

My friend drove round the route and measured the mileage, she said it was abt 10.1km....

The start was a bit confusing. After you guys were flagged off the MC kept calling for the boys and girls and it took so long to assemble them. By the time we ran, you guys were way ahead. I saw you from a distance as you were turning into the new road leading back to curve but couldn't catch up with you.

Sidekick caught up with me when i was running in that new road, a few hundred meters from crossing the road back to curve.I told him i was feeling lazy and so wanted to walk....He encouraged me and said "Go go go"

So i sped to the finish. Timing was ok la. 1:03

The race was well organised, apart fr the kelam kabut start.

Howz yr legs?

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger shades said...

Hats off to you!!!!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger RunWitMe said...

Hey! Well done!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger UnkaLeong said...

Good on you mate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home