Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Revisiting An Old Haunt

An old haunt, not an old aunt.

I had earlier on mentioned to FCI that I was looking forward to his class last night, to which his reply was "that's good". Therefore, I was perplexed when I got an sms from FDI (aka Leon), saying, "FCI not teaching tonight hor". Turns out, yes, that latest intelligensia information was accurate, unlike reports of Osama bin Laden's death, which till now is unconfirmed. Drat, on the one day that I have no desserts to prepare, and have the whole Tuesday evening free, FCI is not teaching. What to do, what to do? Scoured the online schedule for other options, but none seemed to appeal to me, so I thought, well, if the weather permits, I shall head for the Lake Gardens, my old haunt before I got bitten by the GX bug.

This place holds a lot memories. It's a great place to bring people on a non-committal "date" on the pretext of exercise. The other half and I used to spend inordinate amounts of time here, with other friends, as we did our Sunday walks/runs religiously. Another friend of mine, who resides in Singapore, used to jog with me regularly in 1998 when he lived here for a short period. And it was in these same gardens that I actually proposed. Subsequently when the kids came along, it was also our regular haunt. Some of you may remember that I mentioned in a previous post in one of the blogs. I brought the kids there one day, a few months ago, and idly voiced my thoughts aloud, "I used to bring you guys here when you were kids", when my 2nd kid retorted, "Huh? Excuse me, we are STILL kids. Have you lost your mind?" Baby girl is still a lake gardens virgin. Waiting for her to be able to be propped up in a stroller before bringing her. To carry a baby around the gardens, even in a sling, is hard work.

As it turned out, the weather was perfect. By 6.10 or so, the ramadhan rush was nearly over, and it was smooth passage to lake gardens. By 6.20 I was on the track, (FDI had earlier suggested why not treadmill, since I had found no class to attend)....the route I usually take, ie, from Lake Club guardroom, towards the playground, veer right, towards the other playground, up to the road that goes to Carcosa Seri Negara, back into the gardens at the end of the road, around the lake, and another circle around the lake, and back to Lake Club via the open amphitheatre. Usually if I am jogging with "frog" (friend's nick), this route takes 25-28 minutes. On my own, I tend to be a laggard a bit.

However, much as I enjoy jogging, in lake gardens, I am loathe to admit that these old joints really can't be subject to too much of it, coz stamina wise, I have no problems, but I can literally feel the creaking in the joints. Nevertheless, I think I shall try to incorporate an outdoor run at least once a week, (excluding the sunday walks with wife in the Bukit Kiara trail..... where years ago I was attacked by a cow), cos the feeling of well being after an outdoor run is something I really miss. Also, I don't have to worry about towels, as I shower in the Lake Club, and towels are provided.

24 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love going to the Lake Gardens! Although I haven't been taking the kids as often as I should and my son is developing an alarmingly big belly!

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i went yesterday la. I didnt want to do a 7.30 class, as i was busy later but i thought ok, 6.30 combat with FCI and friends would do just fine.

Blurly, i patiently queued.Then Stevie Wonder exclaimed loudly, your Angels are not here today la coz FCI is not teaching!

Aiyo, i already signed up and took the card and the replacement instructor was already there, but the thought of going thru one hour with an unfamiliar instructor and no friends (i was also looking around for you, FB, and you were not around) was too daunting and my hunger for food won the battle, so i rushed off, after passing my card to Stevie.

And worse still, at the front desk waiting for my ticket to be chopped, the front desk mgr( or was she the sales manager) asked, eh, i thought i just saw you come in. I was already thinking what i was going to eat... and i quickly mumbled that instructor was not teaching today....

So sorry to the replacement, didn't mean to be unsupportive!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger YOU! said...

attacked by a cow... what did you do!!!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

yhsmom - yar, its great exercise for the kids. if you stick to the gardens route, its not so undulating, so not so tiring. my kids can climb the kiara hill. but they'll be like BBW. (big bad wolf).

sunshine - HAHAHAHAH!!! i've learnt the bitter lesson, it pays to check the schedules before hand. whose angels were stevie wonder referring to?

youkh - years ago, before that place became so civilized, with car park, and lines and km markers, cows used to graze along that track. i think i accidentally made eye contact with one of them, who was looking after her calf. she came charging at me, and i toppled over and fell into the ravine. she actually had horns. i always thought only bulls had horns. okay, go ahead and laugh. when i told my pastor, he went, mooooooo wahahahahahah....

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

COWabunga Fatboy!! Hehehe.. I love Lake Gardens, my family used to go there every weekend when we were kids..love the smell of freshly cut grass (the real one, the one cows eat incidentally, in case you have any other ideas). Even organised a treasure hunt there once...had 150 Uni kids running around the entire park...those were the days.
SC

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

SC, your mysterious identity is killing me!!! nevertheless, i shall not be cowed!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger YOU! said...

What! making eye contacts with COWS!!! Amoooozing!

Can be scene of a Mooosical! All sterling Moogical cast of talking Moo Moos.... Moooo hahahaha!

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fb, you know the girls at the back, one of the girls referred to Stevie as Bosley(but not Charlie, probably coz Stevie is more Bosley-like),as he reckons all the girls are his angels

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

you, have you any udder remarks that might be helpful? theme song can be
DAIRY QUEEN, sung to the tune of dancing queen. followed by MOONEY MOONEY MOONEY. actually, food for thought, if they can make a movie about BABE, LION KING, ANACONDA, many horse shows, CHICKEN LITTLE, i'd say our bovine friends are having a raw deal!!!


sunshine, GUFFAW, bosley indeed.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger YOU! said...

IT's out in the cinema liao... Bovine animation! the Barnyard!!! :p Some bits are Moooverlous!! laugh till you the milk spill everything.... :D

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hills are alive....with the sound of Moooosic....Can imagine you FB, running in Lake Gardens to this, ala Julie Andrews...hehehe
SC aka ST...muahahahaha

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

AIEEEE, SC aka ST, the mystery deepens. not only do you seem to know me, but also my deepest darkest secrets of an affiliation to the sound of moosic. of course, my all time favourite scene is not the one of the trollop nun doing pirouettes in the hills, but rather, the one where she is chastised by the reverend mother.

maria, why did they send you back?
they didnt send me rev mother, i left.
were they unkind to you?
oh no reverend mother, its just that i knew here, I would be safe from it all.
maria, our abbey is not meant to be used as an escape.
(brace yourself for the use of foul language)
what is it you cunt face?
i cunt face him.
HIM? (thank you sister margherita)...

fast forward,
break into song,
CLIMB EVERY MOO_NTAIN.

aaaaaaaargh, SC, ST whatever it is you are, REVEAL THYSELF!!!!

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, FB, by affiliation, do you mean you have a penchant for donning a nun's habit? Or could it be that perhaps you were in a moosical production of the Sound of Moosic? You RMC boys, being boys....cross dressing and all for a play must have been fun???

SC....(evil laughter in background)

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

SC aka ST, AAAAAAAAARGH, okay, you must be a married woman, SC being your nee name, and ST being your married name. hmmm, how did you know about RMC? or did u pick that up from the blog?

no lah, we never had concerts/plays there, the place is devoid of culture...no occasion to cross dress. alas, ever since the kids came along, i am completely off disney cartoons, and sounda moosic, for they would play them over and over and over again...

your english is impeccable, so that rules out certain places that i might have placed you at...(stevie wonder shares same initial as you, but obviously, you arent him)

this is killing me, and you ARE evil.

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No dear FB, am single. You must have me mistaken for a "see lai" of which I am far from becoming! It's too bad RMC lacks culture..you would have made an excellent Rev. Mother in a habit...but, can you carry a tune?
BTW, Trainee Instructor is no longer a Trainee...she should now be addressed accordingly, having already replaced a few classes.
Ooh, shall not torture you anymore...my favourite wookie knows me well, ask and all shall be revealed....hehehehe
SC

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

wookie? trainee instructor now instructor? AHHHH, okay that narrows it down. u must be from ze forum!!! in which case, though i have NOOO idea what ST stands for, unless you've broken ur name into syllables, i have a vague suspicion that it can only be the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth.

as for carrying a tune, well, as they say, it aint over till the fat man sings.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger PickYin said...

aiyoh, how come suddenly i'm involved in this? i'm imagining FBB in nun habit and dancing ala Whoopi Goldberg in Sister Act...

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is SC?
Kit

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

oh pickles, YOU are the trainee instructor now full instructor? congrats congrats.

kit, i have no idea.

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Pickles. Hip Hip Hooray
Kit

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well FB, all I can say is..the tooth is out there...and now that Pick Yin has put that image of you in a habit in my head...I can't stop laughing....this beats the one we had of FCI as a giggling schoolgirl ala Britney Spears in One More Time...hahahaha

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger YOU! said...

aaaarh!! stop it! i can't see either of them in the same light now!!!FCI in school girl uniform and fluffy furry hair band giggling.... yeeesh! and FBB in nun habit doing combat do the evil laugh track... hehehehe

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

youkh & SC, u can be rest assured the likelihood of me donning a nun's habit is as much as me doing body jam on stage in bikini briefs and a superman cape....(now that's another image for you to grapple with, as the malays say, "ROSAK"!!!!)

of course, i cant speak on behalf of FCI and a girl's school uniform. i reckon he'd look rather hideous.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger YOU! said...

heheheh! Booty Combat! don't forget the bad make-ups.... snigger!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home