Monday, June 05, 2006

There Can Be MIRACLES, When You Believe....

I got this sms from fellow gym member yesterday:

"Dunno whether its just me bt one of the main reasons I njoyed ystrday was the FF Community Spirit which is lacking in othr gyms...."

I have to say, whilst I have no experience with the other gyms, I have a fair idea of what she means. Yesterday (Saturday) referred to that huge MIRACLE 2006 event, organised by Fitness First, at the Curve, a charity event meant to raise funds for MAKNA. (not MAKAN). And I did feel a certain camaraderie with the Fitness First Crowd, and actually felt quite proud to be a member of the gym that bothers to organised such mega events with such noble causes. (and I am not being sarcastic)

Anyway, you needed to purchase coupon booklets of RM50, and pay RM30 for the outdoor classes, or RM40 for the extended outdoor classes, or RM20 for the indoor classes. Now, charity aside, RM30 is a steep price to pay for a class that is otherwise free, but heck, it IS charity. I ruled out going for Body Step, coz it was at 9am on a Saturday morning.... much as I would have LOVED to have gone. Had taken cough meds of the drowsy kind, and was feeling drugged. Targetted to go for Body Combat, at 4.30, which starred FCI, FPI, and No 1 in Tianjin, so obviously it was the natural choice. Foolishly, I underestimated the traffic on a public holiday, and was VERY VERY stressed by 4.10, when I was stuck in the basement of Ikano looking for a carpark in a very very crowded and jammed environment. FCI's gf very kindly registered for me... managed to jettison the car in some illegal spot, but only after getting clearance from the security guard. Dashed through Ikano like a madman, barging through the escalators, knocking everyone unconscious with my gym bag, did a change parade* (change parade - an army punishment whereby you are given a short amount of time to change from one uniform to another), and managed to get into the combat class which had already started.

Jakarta Jan was teaching the first few tracks. Still flustered from the stress of parking and rampaging through Ikano, I couldn't really concentrate, and boy, as it was outdoors, it was HOT HOT HOT. The heat from the concrete ground wafted up like a barbeque. I dont know HOW yhsmom could manage so many classes. Not to mention the "survivors" who had signed up for the entire 16 hour course. Combat was fun enough, I liked the muay thai track, and it was quite fun when for the group track, all of us circled around the fountain. The Thai superstar instructor, Don, was also full of enery, as was No 1 in Tianjin. FCI and FPI were shadows. No 1 in Tianjin appeared to have injured himself by the time it was conditioning track.

The event is like the Oscars of Fitness First. The who's who of the FF world is there, both instructors and members alike. Hitherto anonymous faces on the Fever forum become real persons. Finally met No 1 in tianjin, aka Dr Combat (Terence), ...or rather, finally introduced myself to him. I've been in his classes before. Also intro-d myself to EFil, who gave me a blank look..... gee!!! I'd have thought he'd recognise me immediately. It was nice to see old familiar faces, such as Longest Instructor, (as in I've been attending his class for the longest time), Kelvin Tan, Kim, my first step instructress, Eugene, (who told me about the existence of my "twin" in Leisure Mall), Nick, (FGXC, who didnt see me waving to him), and of course, Gorgeous Woman, all the way from Hong Kong, who had incidentally injured herself doing splits, and was unable to teach.

Fellow Member with her No 1 In Tianjin

Me with FPI aka Lex Luthor

Body Balance Instructor, Balancing

Wonder Woman, aka Gorgeous Woman, spotted shopping.


Crazy People Who Pay To Exercise In the Heat


I really wanted to come back for the charity auction, and watch a bit of UNLEASHED, ( a combo of body attack, combat, jam and balance), but was pooped by the end of the day, and as the cough meds kicked in, I saw myself passing out, but NOT BEFORE getting THIS SMS. I'm so proud of my FCI, that he managed to get the highest bids in the auction. Now, surely RM500 is a good price to pay for THIS FELLOW:



PS- I wonder if there is a "curse" in the latest release. So many injuries, from Wonder Woman, to Dr Combat, and yesterday, a fellow body stepper fell off her board and was literally floored, and had to hobble out of class during body step.

10 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger yw[2k] said...

Aiya... Too bad lah missed you there.... I left sometime around Combat, and I think you were in the class... Haha.

And I kinda agree with what you said, how can we NOT go? :P

We are the FF family! Wooot!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger shades said...

We had so many instructors auctioned, it was really FUN!

One instructor had to dance in the fountain for the winning bid...

You should've stayed back to see the auction!

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great fun, memorable and I believe very rewarding at a personal level. finally got to meet up with you FBB. :) See you around soon eh?

But very humid, body lost lots of salt - as a result, calf cramped during "Becaue of you..." how ironic. Drank more than a dozen 100plus also did not prevent that from happening.

Oh yeah hmmmm...the auction. * chuckles *

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one could have missed FB. He was in bright orange! The same shade as the jumpsuits worn by American prisoners.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

yw[2k]: yar, how can we not go right? i'd never have rested easy. nor breathed easy. as it is, i kinda regret not going for the auction and unleashed.

shades: yar, yar, rub it in. i regret like hell.

dr combat: hey, good for finally meet you. look forward to the day i can attend your combat class.

yhsmom: thank you for that sterling analogy. american prisoners, just like that sitcom, arrested development.

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shades, can briefly describe what happened during the Charity Auction? Missed it as well, felt so guilty. Need to know the full report of the entire event please :) Thanks!

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shades, can briefly describe what happened during the Charity Auction? Missed it as well, felt so guilty. Need to know the full report of the entire event please :) Thanks!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

yar, aitelyu, have been combing these instructors blogs for news on the MIRACLE event, but news is as scarce as a volcano eruption on a remote island, with no telecommunication.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger PickYin said...

instructors busy studying chorey for all the new releases mah.. :D:D

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger shades said...

I would blog it...if I have the pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home