Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Maori Haka Cooldown

ha·ka (häkä)
n.
A Maori war dance accompanied by chanting
hakka

n : a dialect of Chinese spoken in southeastern China; this form of Chinese is not well known outside China because few of the Hakka people have migrated [syn: Hakka, Hakka dialect]

So when I say Maori Haka I meant the first one, and not some Chinese who sesat in the land down under.

It's very rarely done, this Maori Haka cooldown, in body combat, although I distinctly remember doing it under Mr Cool, (Ben Sim), in my 2nd ever combat class, and remembered vividly the strange slapping on the thigh. (hmm, rereading this sentence, it sounds kinky), and the maori warlike movements. The 2nd time I think I did it with Alex, the combat instructor who's days in MJH were shortlived for reasons unbenownst to me.

So last night, under FCI was the 3rd time I was doing the haka, from Body Combat 13, to Tarakihi by Dame Kiri Te Kanawa. I suspect FCI was doing it to entertain himself, for he was looking at the class with this smirk on his face, and that snigger(which I know sometimes was directed at me...the audacity of that fellow). That wasn't the only time last night he sneered and laughed at me..... but anyway, not one to hold a grudge, I shall let it pass.

As usual, registration was an exercise in futility. Despite getting there 20 mins before class began, the list was already full. I am just waiting for an excuse to skip the class. Poor Cerebus, doing such a good job, manning the door with her photographic memory. "Your name is NOT ON THE LIST"....she can tell instantly. According to the lady who did jam the day before, I had just missed being an illegal by a minute or so....

Another track that I felt FCI was doing to partially entertain himself was one of the combat tracks with this weird crane (or was it claw) katas, that looks like a cross between a joget and an Indian classical dance move. But in the end, it was a good sweat, culminating in the killer conditioning, We Will Rock You. It's comforting to see that no one (in the class) actually CAN do the entire set of pushups on their toes. One day, I SHALL DO IT!!!!

Someone suggested I put my dieting attempts alongside with gymning to spice up things. Good idea, except, I have NO dieting attempt. Okay, I try to skip carbo at night, mainly because we eat brown rice for dinner, and I hate it. Reminds me of Bangkok Lawyer friend who told me how his wife did a frog in the pot thing on him, in the transition from white to brown rice. She started of with a few grains of brown, increasing it over time, until one day, it dawned on him he was eating 100% brown rice. (frog in the pot is the analogy of a frog in a pot of gradually boiling water, vs putting a frog directly into a pot of hot water)...so yeah, Rantings of the Ravenous, sorry lah, you're on your own when it comes to the deprivation of calories.....afterall, it would be too much work to change the blogname to thinboybakesatgym.....


12 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never liked it when instructors do that track. they all seem to do it merely out entertainment sake..i think!!

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked it, first did it in Ammetta's class.. those were the days when FCI and the other instructors are still members:p

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

anonymous, which track u talking about? the haka one or the funny kata one?

ykh??? are u an instructor? do i go for your class?

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, the haka dance on. it is the banging of the thighs & elbows one right?

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

yalar, banging thighs and elbows. quite fun wat.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did the haka cooldown first at jules's combat 3 years plus ago. She does it best, ranting over like at war! :p

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems like its been done by many others also. i ve done that cooldown with terence at the curve some time ago. quite funny n nice to do. :P one dreadful conditioning track that he did was twist n shout, really makes you want to shout it out - so many pushups!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

so many anonymous comments...dont even know if its from the same anonymous or different anonymi...

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup. it's me. the blur blur fellow at Curve Sat Combat :p

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard a really cool, cooldown done by shades yest. Fallin' by alicia keys,body combat 14, is it? one of my fav singers....oh yes, that will really cool one down...

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

oooh, if its really thee, ykh, i am so honored to have u drop by.

anonymous, i donno that cooldown la...what kinda movements?

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger shades said...

Hi...

Was rushing yesterday so didnt do the proper Fallin' cooldown...

OK, NEXT WEEK all my combat class will do the Fallin' cooldown!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home