Thursday, July 06, 2006

Bring On Those Grid Lines

Another Pumbat combo day. Replacing usual pump instructor was old timer, Ben Sim (one of many Bens in FF, I can think of at least 4), who actually, was also my first combat instructor, or at any rate, he's the first combat instructor that i REMEMBER. Now, if there is a Mr Robot in our midst, then this one is Mr Cool. I dunno, he just exudes this air of absolute coolness about him. Almost like Mr Robot, but with soul. He's one of those instructors that is impossible to dislike, though I suspect actually getting to know him is a mammoth task by itself. Anyway, lionheart was rather pleased, coz he knows that Mr Cool does lots of old tracks, being a vintage instructor and all. Sure enough, he announced that he would be doing a lot of old tracks. Actually, none sounded familiar to me. I mean, the music did, it's all from the 80s.... or a lot of it was.... like It's Raining Men...errr....can't remember what else.

His chest track had a move I'd never seen before. Almost like the triceps move, where you bring your arms behind your head.... while lying on the board. He said to halve your weights, and add on the rest after this movement. Lionheart said he had been injured by this movement before, thought it didnt stop him from piling on 12 kg on each side....even Mr Cool gave a slight bemused look. When I heard LH had been injured before, I dropped my weight to 5kg (from 7kg). When it came to adding back the weight, the 2½ plates were too far away, so I didn't bother, meanwhile, LH had increased his to 15kg on each side, for chest!!!! That's like 200% more than me!!! Aiyo!!! Puts us to shame. They'd have had to carry me out in a box if I lifted those weights.

To compensate for the light weights in chest, I decided to try 10kg on each side for clean and press, which was my weight before the elbow injuries. Can do la, but a bit of a struggle. I can't fathom it, but for this track, LH is down to 11kg. Biceps was another killer. But it was an enjoyable class all in all. I wouldn't mind attending his classes regularly actually. (actually, I did attend his combat classes fairly regularly when it was the thurs lunchtime slot.....till today though, no sign of recognition).

Combat - Frodo's back. I should clarify, that the nickname isn't because of physical attributes, for he is in no way hobbitlike....it was because he wore this ring, around his neck, like frodo, and when he did the Lord of the Rings cooldown.... I thought of Frodo. Frodo's back with a whole new painting on his back. (tattoo).

His class was VERY energetic, and it was a great class. Why the grid lines? Because, there are some people, who after shuffling right, or left, can't seem to find their original positions after the shuffle, and conveniently oust whoever they see fit. As was the case yesterday. After the shuffle, I found myself virtually kissing the ass the guy in front of me, who had encroached majorly into my space. I then moved a good 5 feet away; noticeable by Shin, who motioned to me why I had moved. Yup, we should have grids, Letters on one side, A-K, numbers on the other. So remember, Big Guy, you are on grid K9. Alternatively, have pictures on the ground, like the Sg Wang car parking lot, birds, elephants, etc.

By track 6, that familiar cramping feeling came back, and now, I am limping. FSI who saw me stretching downstairs said, "ya ya, another excuse to skip step".

Really really, I'm in pain.

9 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

grateful that the gym i go to do not require me to sign up and i don't have to worry about kicking the person next to me as there's always ample space.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

from anonymous to anonymous:

Probably the instructor in the gym you go ain't that good... so no need registration and ample space

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whos is Mr Cool n Frodo?New chaps?Sucks.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

nope, neither mr cool or frodo are new, and both are great instructors.

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anon to anon...

nope, my gym just doesnt practice the signing up for class thing. studios are big enough to accomodate a large number of people.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

i guess FF also has its big studios, its just some of the centres have smaller ones, and i have the misfortune of having to go to the teeny aquariums.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

registration means that the gym is monitoring the classes in the gym. No registration means the gym couldn't care less if no one attends the class.

It also means the gym does not view group exercise as a vital contribution to the success of the gym.

In that prospect, I'm grateful that the gym I go to require me to sign up.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

i tend to agree with the recent anonymous comment. while yeah, registration might be a pain, it does help with tracking of how popular a class is, etc etc, and gives the statistics for making the appropriate changes. i guess the counter argument could be you could just do a head count during the class...

but anyway, to the rego free anonymous, lucky you la, got big studio, dont have to worry about getting there early, etc. u mean there are NO situations when its full house? hmmm, strange. even our large studios get over packed sometimes.

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the 2nd anon:

Not strange at all that the studios are not packed. With a spacious studio, by right it should be able to accomodate more people. Only conclusion is the GX not as popular as the ones in FF.

Can't blame the members for not being able to appreciate GX classes. Since the gym doesn't put emphasis in the GX classes, not many planning or promos are done. Unlike in FF, from time to time you get theme classes, GX challenge etc.

The coordinator there must be having an easy time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home