Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Pop Pop Pop

Saturday afternoon, 3rd January, .....

"I am still feeling the after shock effects of the New Year Eve party. Sluggish can't even begin to describe my state. It's more like zombified. I have to get myself out of the rut. I need to SWEAT, NOW!".

I head to the gym, and because I had other errands to run that morning, I decided the most effective way to spend the time was to jog on the treadmill. I plod along quite happily, when suddenly there's a tap on my shoulder, and its Serena (Richelle). Arghhhhhh, she can't be running next to me. It's like a hippo running alongside a gazelle!!! (Note, it rhymes with richelle). Sigh. Anyway, the hippo completes his 30 minute stampede, covers 4.4km, sweating like a pig on heat.... (actually I learnt recently in the Singapore zoo that hippos cant sweat, that's why they like to soak in the tub).

Feeling very proud of myself, that I had managed to detox a bit of the excesses of alcohol, I continued with the rest of the day, when I got THIS sms:

From Jacqueline Wong aka Gorgeous Woman:
HAS YOUR BS74 CHERRY BEEN POPPED YET?

Thanks to the online schedule that wasnt working, I didnt even know she was teaching that day, or I myself would have sms-ed her to ask if she was teaching. Well, as it happened, I hadn't popped my cherry for any of the new releases.

I reply that I will try to be there, and she replies, "YES! POP POP POP!!!"

With much effort, limbs still aching from the hippo run, (sheesh, gazelle was galloping away effortlessly), I dragged myself to the step class. Of course, GW can teach anything and the class would still be excellent, so what can I say, it WAS excellent. As I fumbled over some steps, she sniggered, and said, "I'm laughing WITH you, not AT you". Yeah, right.

With more cherries to be popped, I almost eagerly went for Body Pump on Monday as usual. As expected, Lionheart does not grace classes in the first 3 weeks of new releases, as he bores easily. JPS aka FPI kinda hinted that it was a tough release.

Harumph. After the torture he's been subjecting us to in the last month, the new release was like drinking shandy after months of AK47 or Long Island Tea. That was my original assessment. However, maybe its like small doses of arsenic, as opposed to his usual hemlock, that kills you instantly. I found myself aching like hell the next day. Interesting changes. No bar work for triceps, some funny manouvre in lunges that require you to balance the bar in front, like a circus clown. Can't really say it's an evocative release. I doubt any of those tracks will see light of day once the compulsory period for new releases is over.

And finally, my combat cherry, reserved of course for FCI. Actually, of all the 3 new releases I've tried, I think combat is my favourite. Lots of seemingly new stuff. I guess it makes sense. Afterall, there are endless permutations for violence and fighting, whereas, how many ways can you STEP, right? Up and down and up and down. So combat choreographers have it good, as they have a far larger choice of movements.

I found combat exhausssssting. I enjoyed FCI's class tremendously, and looks like lots of absentees in December were now back, as the class was packed. I kinda like the 8th track, that back to basic jabs, uppercuts and hooks. Something very primal and adrenaline pumping.

Yeah, so happy new year everyone. I did attend some classes before the end of the year, but ugh, they are not worthy of mention. ..........

On a separate note, YAY, MR COOL is teaching pump in Manulife again. But aiyo, its on Tuesday lunchtime, when I would have hardly recovered from FPI's pump on Monday. Drat. But at least Mr Cool is now in the radar, so maybe he might drop into some of the other slots, or even RPM.

4 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't make it to JPS' (hmmm..wonder why but I prefer the name JPS...it is soooo Kento lar)class on Monday lar. When I arrived, you all are already into the chest track. So I texted Torture Queen, and asked whether she was available for PT, and the next thing I know, she came in 15 mins later and said, "ok...warm up now!!!" So my PT session was the substitute for your FPI's class. Hey, just like the recent "calf run" (small bull spurt) at Wall Street, after countless days of downward spiral, I don't mind the new pump release, after the disastrous one the last round!!! My favourite track is definitely the tricep...good moves and great song. Of coz, no where near the old classics lah, but still a great track. Shoulders can be painful, although the song can be better. Chest is also not bad, just load up and you will scream during the slow bottom halves. I absolutely absolutely hate the squat track...not dat much on the chory, which is quite a cardio blast, but rather on the song...so soapy!! Whatever it is, still not as "painful" as having a PT session lah!! Hahahahahaha... Agreed...Mr. Cool Ben Sim back in the fray!!! And we also have Mr. Young, stationed at MML now as the new FM!! He used to teach pump with Flo back in the SPK days. Now....it would be great if he can have a pump slot in MML too!!!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

u must hav been quite a hippy hippo to b able to trample 4.4km in 30 mins..THATS FAR AND FAST for me..that being said i m ALSO young enough to b ur son..

die la..need to run more..

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

nipple joe, gosh, what are u doing here? (as in, in THIS blog)

lionheart, guffaw, calf run...hahahah...thats a new term...who is mr young ah? dunno who la.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is ST Young, erm...the ex partner of Flo. He and Flo used to give really mean pump classes together at SPK back in the good old days, sometimes with our Jakarta Jan as the third kaki, shadowing or team teaching with them. He is now the FM at Manulife, in charge of PT. He was transferred here from Maxis last month. Now..he is a great pump instructor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home