Thursday, January 15, 2009

IMHO, A Star is Born.........

To be honest, I am a bit worried that when this present batch of FIs get old and wither away, like the autumn leaves in autumn, and when their ligaments wear off like old brake pads, who will replace them? Let's face it, some of them are wearing out even before their time, due to over exertion, constant thumping, ..... but my worry doesn't only stem from loving concern for their welfare, but for my own good, for ahem, to be quite honest, I dont seem to "connect" with most of the newbies classes I've attended. Maybe with the passage of time, they will eventually evolve to be as good (good being a relative term) as their predecessors and mentors. There seem to be gaping holes in the succession, ...... much like the Chrystanthemum Throne.... like Combat, for example. If FCI retires, I cannot think of whose class I'd like to attend....maybe its time to start shopping around. ... For Step, for now, there are still a lot of fantastic oldies around, but when they go, ....who then?

SO, indeed, it was a breath of fresh air, when this young lad, same birthdate (as in day and month, not year) as me, who added me onto Facebook because of that (geee, normally I wouldn't have entertained these additions from strangers), invited me to attend his pump class, where he was replacing Sue. Yeah, it sounds almost scandalous, chatting on FB with a lad young enough to me my son, but heck, so is FPI aka JPS. But anyway, I did frivolously mention once that if he ever taught in FF, Manulife, specifically, I'd make an effort to attend the class.

Anyway, the Wed 4.45pm class isn't as hardcore as the Monday 4.45pm class, and the young lad, being a guest instructor and all, certainly wasn't going to try to cram 10 tracks, so I knew I should be able to survive the class. Not a bad turnout, probably around 10 people. I enjoyed the class, although there was no flicker of recognition, no smile, no nod, NUFFINK AITELYA, to even hint that he knew I was the FB "penpal". Good strong command, good diction, good cueing..... physically he reminded me of a cross between JPS and Eugene Nyam.... JPS prob because of the age, and height. I reckon this one has potential. No regrets, going for the class. As we're still on the new release, there were no surprises there either..... except it seemed a bit easier than JPS' class.... hmmmm, wonder WHY!

Tuesday combat as usual, the class is regaining its crowds, lost somewhat during the fler's suspension. As I entered just before the start of the class, there was already no space in the frontal area....This release is tiring, especially track 6, with the Esciva? Escobar? whatever.... with the lunges and front kicks. Far too many directions in such a short time for an old man like me. FCI looks happy, and cheery, which is good. The tall guy, who had disappeared for a long time now, suddenly made a reappearance. Maybe he's on summer holiday or something. The landscape of the class is changing, with fewer and fewer familiar faces.

Monday, JPS's class, painful as usual despite the relatively easy release. I dread next week when the old tracks flood the class once again. Managed to balance the bar on my shoulders for that weird squats during lunges.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home